Wednesday 25 July 2007

Music Snobbery Ahoy

I think I'm beginning to understand all the music snobs who snub artists after they become big. Now, I wouldn't go that far but I share a certain sympathy with them. For example, take the artist Kate Nash. She's been around since at least December '06 (this is when I first heard her) and now she is getting to be quite big - prime-time Radio 1 airplay, videos on TV, album out soon on a major label, the lot.Yet despite all of this I can't shake the feeling that somehow she's betrayed me. I used to be able to talk to people about her and they'd have no idea who she was. Now, however, most people will have heard of her and I feel like her songs are not addressing me personally anymore which is the feeling I got when I first heard The Nicest Thing. It was a great feeling, like entering a new relationship. I don't get that so much with her new single, Foundations. That's not so say I don't like it; quite the contrary. I love the song, it just doesn't feel personal anymore. The same thing happened with Reverend And The Makers. I saw them supporting Arctic Monkeys and I loved them instantly. Now they're getting big, some of the magic is going, although they're still great.

Now, I'm just hoping and praying that Kate Nash doesn't sell out.

1 comment:

kissthisangel said...

Kate nash is a bum. I love you